Tokyo, Japan, February 19, 2009—Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president and CEO: Shiro Kondo) today announced the release of the CX1. The CX1 features the highly evolved image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine IV together with a CMOS sensor that enables high-speed image processing. For maximum enhancement of image beauty, the CX1 has the imaging power to brilliantly isolate one instant in time, and for high-sensitivity shooting it achieves sharp resolution and noise reduction without compromising colour reproduction. The CX1's expanded dynamic range of 12 EV equivalent makes it possible to capture high-contrast scenes in a way not possible with earlier models.
With the new image processing engine Smooth Imagine Engine IV and a new high-speed image processing CMOS sensor installed, the CX1 achieves greater image quality while at the same time expanding dynamic range with its Dynamic Range Double Shot Mode that shoots two still images with different exposures, and then records an image that combines the properly exposed portions of each image. With the new enhanced continuous shooting function, the CX1 shoots at 120 images (120 frames/sec.)
In addition, functions such as Multi-Pattern Auto White Balance (sets white balance based on the light sources of segregated areas of the image) and Multi-Target AF (shoots consecutive images at seven focal distances automatically defined by the camera) enable the new CX1 to create beautiful images giving an almost naked-eye impression.
This is a digital camera that takes the design concept "A tool you will want to use every day" to a new level of perfection.
1. Enhanced high-speed continuous shooting functions - Don't miss the decisive moment.
- Smooth continuous shooting*. High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 4 frames/sec. *Continuous shooting speed will vary depending on shooting conditions, card type, card condition, etc.
- Continuous shooting at overwhelming speed. 120 frame/sec. Ultra-high-speed continuous shooting. With ultra-high-speed continuous shooting, the CX1 shoots 120 images (120 frames/sec.) during an interval of about one second after the shutter release button is pushed, or 120 images (60 frames/sec.) during an interval of about two seconds. *Image size is fixed at N640 (VGA). *The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file).
- Don't miss your target. M continuous shooting plus. The M-continuous plus shooting function does continuous shooting that saves the 30 images (30 frames/sec.) taken during the one second or so before the finger is removed from the shutter release button or the 30 images (15 frames/sec.) taken during the two seconds before. By taking your finger from the shutter release just after the decisive moment has passed, you can be sure that you have caught the exact image. *Image size is fixed at N1728 (2M). *The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file).
3. Multi-Pattern Auto White Balance - A dramatic transformation for people photography.
For scenes with both sunlight and shadow and scenes mixing flash and natural light (or fluorescent light, etc.) during flash photography, this function can define white balance to fit the light source of each segregated area of the image. This new capability is very powerful for people photography in scenes which could not be adequately handled by past auto white balance functions, which used an average setting for the entire image.
The new image processing engine (SIE IV) has a specialized circuit that analyzes the image broken down into 32x27 areas. The white balance correction factor is defined for the light source of each area. This makes it possible to do white balancing correction for multiple light sources.
4. Multi-Target Auto Focus - Shoot seven images with different focal distances.
Multi-target AF does high-speed consecutive shooting of seven images with different focal distances determined by the camera. It is effective for scenes (such as flowers) where there is a narrow range for a sharp focus. The camera automatically decides the seven focus points and does the high-speed consecutive shooting of seven images while shifting the focus to each point. After shooting, you can select the image with the preferred focus.
5. Smooth Imaging Engine IV＋CMOS sensor - superb image quality.
The CX1 features the highly evolved image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine IV together with a CMOS sensor that enables high-speed image processing. For maximum enhancement of image beauty, the CX1 has the imaging power to brilliantly isolate one instant in time, and for high-sensitivity shooting it achieves sharp resolution and noise reduction without compromising colour reproduction.
6. Pixel output interpolation algorithm
The addition of a customized circuit to the image processing engine has made it possible to include a pixel output interpolation algorithm that minimizes whiteout in high-contrast situations, thereby enabling you to faithfully capture the excitement seen by your eyes. With techniques that use R (red) and B (blue) information to interpolate G (green) information (which is prone to saturation), the CX1 expands dynamic range by up to +1 EV over previous method.
Price and Availability
The CX1 will be available at SRP £299.inc VAT from 13th March – pre-orders will be taken prior to this date. For further sales information, please contact Ricoh on 0208 261 4031
Telephone: 01327 844880
- Ricoh UK LTD. (PMMC UK): Ricoh House, 1 Plane Tree Crescent, Feltham, Middlesex, TW13 7HG, United Kingdom
- Media Contact UK: KL Associates, 5 Hall Drive, Long Buckby, Northants NN6 7QU, United Kingdom